Coilgun Power
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Coilgun Power

Microcontroller/Coilgun Ideas and Support

Main HomeMain Home  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coilgun barrel

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DaveyPocket

Coilgun barrel Empty
PostSubject: Coilgun barrel   Coilgun barrel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 3:52 pm

I have a question, when you make your coilgun, what do you use for the barrel? You know, the thing that you wrap the coil wire around. I used some heat shrink tubing I found, but the problem is, if it overheats, it shrinks, which is not what I want. I've used drinking straws once, but I'm looking for something sturdy. If you have any ideas, I would like to know.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Coilgun barrel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coilgun barrel   Coilgun barrel Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:27 pm

If you are going to use optical triggers like I did you need a clear barrel. For that I bough eight large glass pipettes on e-bay and cut the ends off. The problem with this is they are fragile and the glass is relatively thick causing a larger gap between the projectile and the coil. I have also used hard solid-white plastic tubes that my local hobby shop carried. I have seen them at almost every hobby shop so you could pick some up. They come in various dimensions. Do not use a metal tube as it will generate eddy currents and kill the efficiency. I would go with the plastic for a single stage gun. For my next gun I am going to use a plastic tube and cut a small hole in the side for the IR to pass though.

Another the problem with a flexible barrel is that each time you fire the coil shrinks and can actually grab the projectile slowing it down, or if you have a really strong one it can shatter the barrel if it is glass.

Justin
Back to top Go down
http://coilgunpower.com
DaveyPocket

Coilgun barrel Empty
PostSubject: Got some wire.   Coilgun barrel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 9:10 pm

I got some coil wire, so I'm going to start making the barrel, all I need is a step up power supply, and some capacitors.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Coilgun barrel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coilgun barrel   Coilgun barrel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:05 pm

Where did you buy the wire? I got 1000' of 22AWG wire on e-bay for $35 with free shipping. I use thicker stuff for my larger guns though.
Back to top Go down
DaveyPocket

Coilgun barrel Empty
PostSubject: Similar thing   Coilgun barrel Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:44 pm

Yes, I got 22 AWG wire, but I don't have 1000' of it. I think it's about 15 feet, or something, I threw out the label, I can't remember.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Coilgun barrel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coilgun barrel   Coilgun barrel Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 7:16 pm

You will probably want a lot more then 15'. I use a lot more then that on a coil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coilgun barrel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coilgun barrel   Coilgun barrel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coilgun barrel
Page 1 of 1